Today we hosted the mid-term meeting of the EU Project WineSense
The project which includes as partners the University of Valladolid (Spain), iBET (Portugal), FEYECON (The Netherlands) and BODEGA MATARROMERA SL (Spain), proposes to improve the extraction process to catch most of the active parts of the polyphenols (presents in grapes), to define a suitable formulation for pharmaceutical applications, food, and cosmetics additives based on Solvent Free Microwave Extraction (SMFE), Microwave Assisted Extraction (MAE), and emulsion-Template techniques combining high pressure and antisolvent effects. Those are techniques developed for analytical purposes that are being implemented in production processes.
The specific scientific and technical objectives established for the project are:
- To improve the conventional process of extraction of polyphenols. Developing an extraction technology by microwave assisted and solvent free microwave extraction
- To develop fundamental knowledge in the field of microwave extraction of compounds from natural products.
- To develop formulation processes to improve polyphenols antioxidant capacity and solubility
- Develop a project formulation extraction processing unit continuously on an industrial scale
- Incorporating our product within the field of pharmaceutical applications and food & cosmetics additives based on Emulsion-Template techniques.
- Implementation of a collaborative methodology to achieve the S&T objectives.
- Effective transfer of knowledge among involved partners.
Taken together, by combining industry expertise and research capabilities, the project will ensure the quality and functionality of the active components of polyphenols for new pharamarmaceutic, food & cosmetic products creation and thereby enhancing the competitiveness of the sector.