Food Safety | Microbiology
The Food Safety and Microbiology Laboratory is coordinated by Teresa Crespo and has been working in the areas of food, water and environmental microbiology.
The food and water areas of iBET have participated in several international projects (6th and 7th Framework European Commission Programs) and national projects (FCT and QREN) in the last years, but especially have created a network of contacts that should be fed and potentiated.
The group continues to seek and to preserve collaborations with industry which are of paramount importance and make our groups and research so unique.
Our research focuses on 3 main areas:
Food and environmental microbiology
- Study of microbial populations
- Study of population dynamics
Traceability and authenticity of food products
- Devising molecular and microbiological methods for the assurance of traceability and authenticity
Food and water safety and quality
- Designing state of the art molecular biology and microbiology methods to evaluate food and water safety
- Designing state of the art molecular biology and microbiology methods to evaluate food and water quality