António Roldão, Head of Cell Based Vaccines Development Lab at iBET, was interviewed on the National radio show “Gabinete de Crise” (Radio Observador) about the vaccine development process for COVID-19.
Click in the image below to listen the full interview, starting at minute 21:50 (in Portuguese)
Selected interview highlights:
- We already had some knowledge on pandemic Coronavirus as a result from the 2002 SARS outbreak, enabling advancing faster to Phase I clinical trials in humans
- Shortening vaccine’s development time does not correlate with loss of effectiveness or safety assessement
- The development process of new-generation vaccines is simpler and faster – when compared to traditional vaccines. Also, molecular and engineering methods used are more sophisticated thus ensuring a high degree of safety
- In Portugal we have a very competent and qualified network of researchers
- At iBET, we participate in projects aiming production of biologics for Phase I and Phase II clinical trials with our partner Genibet
Interested in vaccine development? Click here to learn more about iBET work on this exciting field.