In an interview with BioTechniques, Catarina Brito, head of the Advanced Cell Models Laboratory, comments on the work that is being done at iBET and the future developments in cell-based disease models.
Please click here to access the full interview.
Selected interview quotes:
- “The work I have been developing at iBET now for the last 10 years or so has been related to leveraging the competences in animal cell bioprocessing to develop better cell models of disease”
- “We combine 3D cell culture, bioreactor technology and immobilization technology with the aim of recapitulating microenvironment”
- “We are focusing on diseases in which the extracellular matrix and environment are particularly important”
- “One of the main challenges in the area is to have validated models that are well described and well characterized”
- “The strongest trends [in the field] right now are the multiorgan and the bioprinting techniques, if indeed this can be made easily accessible to most of the labs”
Learn more about iBET work in this field here.