“SaltGae” project was highlighted on Euronews. Main topics addressed in the media coverage include:
- The challenge of treating saline wastewater
- The benefits of algae in wastewater treatment
- The environment conditions required for algae to grow
“How microalgae can treat wastewater and turn it into a valuable resource” – Full article available here
About SaltGae Project
The treatment of saline wastewater in presence of organic content represents a challenge for the industry. SaltGae project aims to develop and demonstrate a techno-economically viable solution for the treatment of saline wastewater using microalgae. SaltGae final event took place on September 2019 and the conference proceedings are available here.
About iBET role on SaltGae
- Defining and optimising the process of microalgae harvesting, validating it at pilot scale using real process streams
- Defining and optimising the best process of pre-treatment of the aqueous stream free of microalgae, prior to its desalination by membrane processing
- Validating the selected solution at pilot scale using real process streams
iBET participation in SaltGae project is coordinated by João Paulo Crespo within Membrane Processes, an emerging research area with a focus on water treatment.