iBET integrated the panel of experts present at INFARMED (the Portuguese Competent Authority on medicines and health products) on December 3rd to analyse the epidemiological situation of COVID-19 pandemics in Portugal. The audience was composed by health authorities, political leaders and social partners.
António Roldão, Head of Cell Based Vaccines Development Lab at iBET, shared expert insights on vaccine development process, from idealisation to commercialisation. António summarised the vaccine development process of inactivated vaccines, mRNA-based vaccines, protein-based vaccines and viral vector-based vaccines and shared examples of human and veterinary vaccines developed at iBET.
Selected quotes by António Roldão:
- “In the future, we can expect new outbreaks. Possibly of already existing and known pathogens but possibly also from emerging pathogens.“
- “We need to continue encouraging the development of new and more advanced vaccine production processes to enable proactive actions rather than reactive actions.“
- “Next-generation vaccine candidates account for nearly 75% of all vaccines candidates in development.“
- ” Aiming to accelerate vaccine development, at iBET we are dedicated to investigate new and improved production and purification processes but also new advanced monitorization and characterization methods.“
- “Throughout iBET’s 30 years of experience in vaccine development, we create a network of collaborations with multiple academic and industrial partners, enabling the development of new and improved expression and purification processes”
The recording of the full meeting on COVID-19 epidemiological situation is available below, with António’s presentation (in Portuguese) starting at 01:29:40.
Interested in vaccine development? Click here to learn more about iBET work on this exciting field.